Our Lady of the Rosary Cathedral at 265 W. 25th Street, San Bernardino, CA 92405 US - A Short History of Our Lady of the Rosary Cathedral
A Short History of Our Lady of the Rosary Cathedral
Our Lady of The Rosary Parish was established by Bishop John Cantwell in the fall of 1927 and will celebrate its 78th year as a parish in fall of 2005.
Father Patrick Curran was appointed as the first pastor and the first services were held on the last Sunday in October 1927. The first services were celebrated in a rented house on Sierra Way, and this house served as a temporary church and rectory.
Construction of a permanent church building began in May 1928 and was completed in September of that same year.
The Priests assigned to Holy Rosary Parish had many additional responsibilites besides ministering to the parishoners of Holy Rosary. They were also responsible for ministering to the needs of St Bernardine Hospital, County Hospital, the State Hospital at Patton, the Indian Reservation at Del Rosa and also said Mass every Sunday during the summer at Lake Arrrowhead.
In 1936 a nine room rectory was built on Arrowhead Avenue at a cost of $12,000.
As the parish grew, it became apparent that there was a need for a parish school. An eight room school of reinforced "earthquake proof" concrete was built and the school was formally opened January 6, 1947 and staffed by Dominican Sisters from Houston Texas.
A new convent was built in 1950, the church building was extended and renovated in 1953, and a new school building was built across the street from the original school building. Afterwards, there followed the planning and construction of our present day Parish Hall.